I made this cake with my daughter on a wet Sunday afternoon. She was missing her grandma during this Lockdown period and remembered this cake as one she had had at her house last time she was there. So we decided to recreate it in her honour. I don’t think the yellow and white icing was in the original recipe but it is how my daughter wanted it to look so we went with the flow! Really delicious buttery cake and very quick and easy to make. The lemon flavour is quite subtle but I like it that way…
Ingredients: for 6-8 people
- 140 g self raising flour
- 115 g very soft butter cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 115 g caster sugar
- 2 heaped tablespoons lemon curd
- Grated rind of an unwaxed lemon
For the icing:
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon curd
- A few tablespoons of icing sugar
- Optional: a few drops of yellow food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
2. Grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper (approx. 20 cm x 10 cm).
3. Blend all ingredients in a food processor for 2 minutes or just beat together until you achieve a smooth mix. This is why it is important that the butter is very soft!
4. Bake for 30 minutes.
4. Turn the cake out of the tin. While it is cooling prepare the drizzle icing: mix the lemon juice with enough icing sugar so it is thick and white and beat until smooth. Either add in the lemon curd at this stage, mix well and drizzle over the cake or if using the yellow food colouring, divide into add and add the lemon curd and a few drops of yellow food colouring to one half. Drizzle over the cake alternating yellow and white.
Hope you enjoy making this! Leave me a comment if you give it a try. Thank you for reading 🙂