This is delicious and very quick to make if the sauce is made in advance ready to just reheat. I confess the tuna steaks I buy at the minute are frozen ones from Aldi and thawed out prior to cooking. Convenient but not a patch flavour wise on fresh tuna steaks….which I would recommend. The tomato sauce is so versatile and tasty…you can add it to pasta or couscous, or use it for pizza bases. It is good for using up any vegetables you have, such as celery (finely chopped), carrots (grated) or courgettes (sliced), but I did not have any in that day…
Ingredients: For 4 people
- 4 tuna steaks
- 300 – 400 g tagliatelle depending on appetites
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for cooking.
- Optional: Lemon to garnish
For the Mediterranean vegetable sauce: Makes 12 portions
- 2 onions finely chopped.
- 1- 2 red or yellow peppers chopped
- 1 aubergine chopped into 1 cm chunks
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 2 x 400 g peeled plum tomatoes (or equivalent in passata or crushed tomatoes – whatever is available)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil
- A few basil leaves
- 100 ml of red wine (optional)
1. Make the sauce. In a large pan heat up 4 tablespoonfuls of olive oil on a low to medium heat, add in the onions, peppers and aubergine and very gently fry for 15 minutes. Add in the sliced garlic cloves and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Finally add in the tins of tomatoes, wine if using, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper and a glass of water to loosen it up. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add in a handful of basil leaves and then liquidise to a smooth sauce with a hand blender or in a food processor. Let it cool and keep aside a third of it for this recipe. The remaining quantity can be frozen in batches for future use.
2. When ready to cook heat the sauce gently in a pan large enough that you can add into it the tagliatelles once cooked. Keep aside.
3. Cook the tagliatelles in a large pan of salted boiling water.
4. Heat a griddle pan on a high heat. Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. About 5 minutes before the pasta is due to finish cooking, griddle the tuna steaks on a high heat, 2 minutes on 1 side, 1 minute on the other. Set aside to rest.
5. Once the pasta is cooked transfer it to the pan with the sauce and toss it together. Add in extra pasta cooking water to loosen it up if required.
6. Plate up the tomato pasta with the tuna steak and some lemon to garnish.
Hope you enjoy making this! Leave me a comment if you give it a try. Thank you for reading 🙂