Before I start, let me just put out in this disclaimer that I am fully aware that this is not in any way a classic paella. However it is very tasty all the same and a handy recipe to have for Lockdown as many of the ingredients come from the cupboard or the freezer.
Ingredients: for 4-5 people
- 250 g paella rice or Arborio rice.
- A large pinch saffron threads
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cubed pepper
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- 250 g sliced chorizo
- 1 pack (approx. 300 g) of frozen raw prawns, or frozen raw seafood. Defrost prior to cooking either in the fridge overnight or by adding to cold water and leave for an hour or 2, then draining.
- 150 g frozen peas
- 200 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- 600 ml chicken stock made up from cubes
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley to serve
- 1 lemon to serve
- Olive oil for cooking.
1. Boil the kettle and pour 600 ml boiled water into a jug. Add the required amount of chicken stock cubes to dissolve, and the saffron to infuse. Set aside for now.
2. In a large frying pan, fry off in a splash of olive oil the sliced chorizo until coloured. Take out of the frying pan and set aside.
3. In the remaining now flavoured oil in the pan, gently fry off the onion and pepper. After 7-8 minutes add in the crushed garlic.
4. Then add in the rice and the white wine. Let it reduce for a couple of minutes then add in the chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Leave to very gently simmer.
4. After 15 minutes add in the frozen peas, the defrosted seafood or prawns and reserved chorizo.
5. 5 minutes later approximately, once the liquid is absorbed, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and garnish with lemon quarters.
6. Season to serve and Enjoy 🙂
Hope you enjoy making this! Leave me a comment if you give it a try. Thank you for reading 🙂