Love this garlic pizza bread to have alongside a pasta dish. It is cheap and easy to make and so good.
I always make enough dough for 3 bases, and then freeze them wrapped in oiled clingfilm ready to use either as a base for either this garlic pizza or for a focaccia or classic pizza recipe (covered in other posts)
Ingredients: makes 3 large bases, or 4 medium ones
For the dough:
- 600 g strong white flour
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 350 ml water
For the garlic butter (makes enough for 2 bases):
- 30 g butter
- 1 large clove crushed garlic (or 2 small ones)
- A good 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Optional : a teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley
1. Mix ingredients and knead well until smooth.
2. Leave to rise in a warm place covered with oiled clingfilm for 10-15 minutes.
3. Knead again well and rise again warm for 10-15 minutes.
4. At this stage the dough can be divided up into 3 (or 4 if you prefer). Any dough not getting used at this point can be wrapped in oiled clingfilm and frozen. It will take a 2-3 hours to defrost next time you want it.
5. Roll or stretch a portion of dough into a circle (it will need a bit of flour to prevent it sticking).
6. Place on a well oiled pizza tray, cover with oiled clingfilm and rise again warm for minimum 20 minutes.
7. During this time make the garlic butter: just mix all the ingredients. Any surplus may be kept in the fridge for another use or frozen for next time.
8. Bake the base 220 ° C for 8 – 9 minutes. Then take out of oven briefly to spread on half the recipe amount of garlic butter all over the base, and return to the oven for 1 minute for it to melt.
9. Take out of the oven, slide onto a board and slice up!
10. Enjoy 🙂
Variation: Stuffed crust garlic pizza bread
Another option is to roll your dough out slightly wider than your pizza tray and put some mozzarella or any good melting cheese within the folded edge to make a cheese stuffed crust garlic pizza bread 👌 Bake as above, maybe an extra minute to ensure the cheese is properly melted.
You’re welcome 😊
Hope you enjoy making this! Leave me a comment if you give it a try. Thank you for reading 🙂