It has not always easy these days to just quickly nip to the shop and buy some fresh baked bread. I am sharing here my recipe for beautifully soft bread rolls. So good I will be making these even when Lockdown is ended.
Ingredients (makes approx 8-10 rolls):
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 450 g strong white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 25 g very soft butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 250 ml water
1. Knead all ingredients until you obtain a smooth dough, cover loosely with a tea towel (or lightly oiled clingfilm) and prove warm (but not too hot) for 2 hours.
2. Then divide into 8-10 pieces and shape into baps (flour hands well as the dough is quite sticky). It helps to just cup your hands to shape the rolls gently and prevent it sticking to your fingers.
3. Place the baps spaced apart on an oiled baking tray, and prove again in a warm place (I used my airing cupboard) for another 20-30 minutes
4. Sprinkle with a dusting of flour and bake 220 C for 10 minutes.
5. You can vary these by shaping them differently, brushing em with a very light egg wash, or adding sesame seeds, or cheese on top prior to baking….whatever takes your fancy! Although ignore the focaccia in the picture below , it was made from a different dough, it will be covered in a different post.
Hope you enjoy! Leave me a comment if you give them a try. Thank you for reading 🙂